Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Disappointing news...

About a month ago, I sent a few quick e-mails to my senators that I copied and pasted from Noodlefood about Service Bill S.277 (thanks Hsieh's). I had to go to each Senator's website to send them, but in the subject line I wrote "Oppose S.277"; in the message I pasted:
Please oppose S.277. It moves us dangerously close to mandatory national service, something which is un-American and a violation of individual rights.
I just fished this out of my junk mail...

April 28, 2009

Dear TK (I edited my name):

Thank you for contacting me regarding the Serve America Act. I commend your commitment to service.

I agree, the need for service to our communities is greater than ever. I am proud I supported and voted for this Act. It was signed into law by President Obama on April 21, 2009, as the Edward M. Kennedy Serve America Act. The Act engages citizens of all ages in volunteer service opportunities, allowing us to meet some of our most pressing national challenges and reinvigorate the economy.

Again, thank you for taking the time to share your views and experiences with me. As the 111th Congress moves forward, please continue to be in touch with your opinions and concerns.

Sincerely,
Mark Begich
U.S. Senator

This is utterly disappointing. I haven't fully digested this yet, but I imagine that my reaction will be to double all of my efforts.

Later.

1 comment:

  1. > "This is utterly disappointing. I haven't fully digested this yet, but I imagine that my reaction will be to double all of my efforts."

    But perhaps in a different direction -- perhaps even in your own field, science -- a direction that might offer a better chance of long-term payoff because you have expertise in it?

    ReplyDelete